Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Week 3: Writing New Mythologies



Like I’ve said before I’m very wary with Fantasy novels and prefer to read fiction primarily the ones that end within one book. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin actually surprised me though although a bit complicated with all its characters…who all have ridiculously long and “foreign” names it managed to keep me interested. The beginning was great but after a while I started losing interest, let me tell you why:

There was a lot of talking in this book, which makes sense it’s in first person after all and for the most part Jemisin wrote beautifully. She did a great job at describing her character and immense world and did a great job at selling the realism of her world but saturated the narrative with dialogue... that's basically all there was. For a book whose title suggests a vast and epic scope, the entire narrative for the most part takes place within a single area. We are constantly told how decadent and twisted the inhabitants of the castle Sky are, but we see very little evidence of that. We are also told constantly how powerful and alien the gods are compared to the “humans,” but in the actuality they don't really differ much, maybe its a harken back to Greek and Roman mythology but I don’t know that kind of upset me a bit. I did enjoy the main character Yeine, she was not your typical heroine. This all seems very critical, but I did really enjoy the first couple of chapters in the book I just tired of it after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment